Here are some frequently asked questions about OnRecord.
Privacy and security
How is my privacy protected?
How secure is the service?
The mobile app is made more secure by several features, some of which are options in ‘Settings’:
- You can use fingerprint and/or PIN to manage login.
- We will be adding 2 factor authentication using your mobile phone number.
- You can delete all records from the phone (but not thread names). Unless you choose also to prevent any records to be stored on the phone, uploaded records will be reloaded next time you login.
- You can prevent any new records being stored on the phone. This is essential if you do not want records to appear on your phone.
- You can change the app icon to disguise it, but only on Apple devices.
- You are logged out whenever you leave the app.
- Photos, videos and audio recordings made using the app (rather than the phone’s own camera and microphone system) are not stored in the phone’s galleries.
Records that you save, along with any attachments, are secured on our Amazon Web Services server and accessible via our website login. The website login is where you can review, search, select and download your records.
Uploaded data and data downloaded to your phone are encrypted in transit.
What proof is there that my evidence is valid?
Who sees my records?
How does someone see my records?
Usually you will have already agreed with an individual or an organisation that they will have access to your records before you go through the process of linking your records to them.
To make the link, choose ‘Connect to an organisation’ from the app menu. You can either choose the individual or the organisation you want from the drop down list of people we already have a contract with, or you can give us the contact details of someone new.
If you click on their name when they appear on the drop down list because they are already known to us, then they will automatically receive an email to confirm the link to your records. As soon as they confirm the link, they will have access to your records. They do not have your username or password but have their own login credentials.
If they are new to us, we will contact them and invite them to join us so that they can have access to your records. This will clearly take a little longer depending on how quickly they respond to our message.
The records are yours and you can cancel a link with an individual or organisation at any time. To cancel the link contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are 'Advice threads' and who can see them?
Advice threads are not visible in the summary screen and will not be seen by anyone other than the person giving the advice and their organisation. This means that if you have to show your summary screen to others, for example as part of court proceedings, other people cannot see the advice threads, which are treated as confidential material.
The very limited number of our staff who have special access to the service could see the advice threads and records if necessary but have a duty of confidentiality to you.
How can I edit or delete records I have uploaded?
But you cannot normally edit or delete records from our platform once they have been uploaded, even if you have deleted them on your phone.
On request, we can alter the service so that records can be edited or deleted and this may be suitable for professionals dealing with your case, such as solicitors.
How can the app help me?
- Many people who get into difficulties, whether it be debt, being bullied, being abused, being subject to prejudice or many other such situations, are unsure whether it is something they can or should get help with, whether it is bad enough, whether it is their fault to some extent or how they should go about dealing with it. By using OnRecord on your mobile phone you can make a private record of what has been happening which you don’t need to share with anyone until you are ready to. You can look at the pattern of events and their severity and decide whether it is too trivial to pursue, or, alternatively, decide it is time to take action. It’s a private reality check.
- As a free mobile app, OnRecord provides a simple but sophisticated form of online filing. Upload complete packages of evidence, in which photographs, voice recordings, video, documents along your own descriptions of events, are stored in chronological order along with maps and impact measures. The purpose of making records when things are difficult is to get a result, so although it takes an effort to get started, it’s the outcome that counts. OnRecord makes sorting through your uploaded records, selecting the ones you want to share or download, controlling how you share your evidence and who you share it with, far easier than any other method. In every circumstance where you might need to open a file to keep a record, in order to be able to manage a situation, OnRecord makes it more efficient and easier to get the result you want.
- Good evidence, clearly presented, is your best tool and weapon when trying to overcome difficulties. Use OnRecord, along with all the advice and guidance we offer on our website and YouTube channel, to stand up for yourself, make your case and be effective.
What can I keep records about?
What are 'Threads' and how do I use them?
There is no limit to the number of threads you can have. They are colour coded to make them easier to see on the timeline. They can be named whatever you like (but remember that if you are worried about someone else seeing your records and delete them on your phone and prevent the phone from storing them, the thread labels will not be deleted). Both colour codes and names can be changed as you wish.
How can I make my evidence most effective?
Be truthful and do not exaggerate. The more you give a simple account of what actually happened, the better. You should make sure you describe the impact of events on you but do not let your description of the events be spoiled by using exaggerated, emotive language.
Collect and record witness names and contact information.